Friday, September 28, 2012

Multiculturalism in Clinical Psychology: a Lifetime of Consultation, by Sahar Dorani, M.A.

Teaching student therapists to be culturally-sensitive and multiculturally aware clinicians seems to be a demanding and controversial task. I recall the incredibly awkward memories of my Multicultural Awareness class in my first year of graduate school. This is a course designed to enlighten therapists-in-training about the powerful influence that (a client’s) culture can have on the therapeutic relationship and on the client’s values, beliefs, and behaviors. Although self-disclosure was not mandatory for us in this class, it was inevitable that some of us were going to become emotional when discussing ‘hot topics’ such as hate crimes, politics, discrimination due to religious affiliation, socioeconomic status, disability, sexual orientation, ethnicity, and gender. At this time a few years ago, I was petrified of the unknown demands of graduate school, yet was also excited, wide-eyed, and actually quite vulnerable in retrospect.


As an open-minded, bi-cultural, activist-type of graduate student, I promised myself that I would voice my honest opinions and experiences during class exercises related to multiculturalism, as it is a topic that I am passionate about (likely rooting from witnessing my immigrant family members struggling to survive financially and socially in the U.S.). I soon realized that this graduate course was not just composed of insightful readings and stimulating class discussions, but that it was inevitably transforming into a group therapy-style setting where our professors supervised us 60 students while we emotionally broke down and confessed our embarrassing and painful memories of experiencing prejudice. Many of us also began to feel guilt for not standing up to discrimination we have witnessed, or for ever perpetuating discrimination of any kind. I never imagined that I would learn so much about my classmates so quickly; I also didn’t know that I would be so self-disclosing (which I am still not sure was the best decision) about growing up as a Muslim-turned-Christian, Iranian-American girl in a predominantly Caucasian and Jewish suburban community. During an experiential activity, students volunteered to disclose their ethnic identities and religious affiliations; there were only two (out of 60) of us who identified as Muslim and only four of us were Middle Eastern. I suppose I never quite felt like ‘the minority’, but in that moment I realized that I was potentially a minority in the field of future psychologists.
As I witnessed my peers shed tears and become angry during certain discussions, I found myself getting very emotionally involved. At the same time, though, I thought to myself, “Is this group therapy?...or Tuesday afternoon ‘cultural awareness’ psychology class?”
I understand- and support- the concept and importance of growing clinicians sharing emotional experiences with the aim of deepening empathy for others and broadening our understanding about others’ culturally-related emotional struggles. However, many other students in my academic program were incredibly displeased with the way that the class was conducted; there were debates about whether the class should be removed from the curriculum altogether, since some believed that an academic class should not have such an emotional component.
With the help of outside consultation and professionals in the field of multicultural psychology, my psychology graduate program continues to stay dedicated to altering their approach to training clinicians to efficiently meet student’s needs, as well as the curriculum requirements of the American Psychological Association. I am constantly learning how the ever-evolving field of psychology calls for consistent evaluation and consultation. I was proud to have learned that one of the field’s most well-known names in Multicultural issues in Psychology was a guest speaker, and worksop leader, at my school. Kenneth V. Hardy, Ph.D. is an internationally recognized clinician, educator, author, and consultant. He is a Professor of Marriage and Family Therapy at Drexel University in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, as well as the Director of the Eikenberg Institute for Relationships in New York City. Dr. Hardy is known for presenting national and international workshops on family therapy with oppressed populations. He seems to have really challenged the field of Psychology to think critically about issues of diversity and oppression. In my opinion, at our school workshop, Dr. Hardy enabled us curious clinicians to think about deconstructing cross cultural tension that may develop when working in therapy with clients. I mostly appreciate his knowledge of exploring the various facets of oppression, and the vast impact that oppression can have on cross cultural interactions and relationships. He is truly gifted in discussing how to create honest, meaningful interactions among (and between) members of different ethnic groups. Personally, as a woman of color, and a child of Middle-Eastern immigrants, I truly appreciate this cultural awareness (especially within my graduate program’s curriculum) in the field that I chose to pursue- and hopefully contribute greatly to.
(Photo by ffreakazzoid)

No comments:

Post a Comment