Friday, September 28, 2012

Jack & Eddie, by Layla Jillood, Psy.D.

When we think about culture what comes to mind? Race, Ethnicity, Religion and possibly…Dogs?














I just adopted two Chihuahua mixes a little over a month ago: Jack and Eddie. This is my first time caring for a dog, so needless to say I have a lot to learn. I have spent a lot of time learning about proper diet, obedience training and medical care for my new friends. There is a wealth of information related to dog training and general care of dogs. In the midst of caring for my new four legged friends I began to notice something that I did not expect. I noticed how friendly and open people were when I was with Jack and Eddie. Normally, when I would go on a walk people would smile or say a polite hello when passing by, but when I am with Jack and Eddie, it is a different story. People stop to say hello to them, ask to pet them and ask questions about who they are. I have seen people of all ages show so much love and affection towards Jack and Eddie after meeting them for just a few minutes. People also ask me my name and how I am doing with Jack and Eddie. I have even made some new friends from these encounters. I have never witnessed so much affection from so many strangers.

I have lived in my neighborhood for a little over a year now. Before Jack and Eddie I would say hello to my neighbors as I was rushing to my car, but that was the extent of our conversations. Now that Jack and Eddie are in my life, I know all of my neighbors on a first name basis, our pets have play dates together and when I go for my daily walk I see many people who do a lot more than smile or say the polite hello when passing by.

This phenomenon is of great interest to me. I am the same person now than I was before I met Eddie and Jack, yet people did not feel comfortable to be more open with me without the dogs. It is almost like having a dog creates a social buffer that allows people to show kindness and openness towards each other. This tells me that people want to show kindness to one another, but may need a context in order to do so. Jack and Eddie have shown me that there is dog culture out there that gives people that context. The next time you pass by someone with a dog, notice how easy it is to engage him/her. Maybe you could be a part of the dog culture too. 

Thank you Jack and Eddie!

No comments:

Post a Comment