Saturday, August 2, 2014

Underneath we are all the same, by Alyson Gould

As a Caucasian Marriage & Family Therapist in training working primarily with Latino families, there is a concern that the cultural differences between me and my client will prohibit the growth of the therapeutic relationship. I am afraid of what my clients might be thinking in the primary stages of therapy. It could be anything from, “What could she possibly know about me?” to “This white girl is going to be my therapist?” While this could be a projection of my own fears, in my experience I have found that by mentioning cultural differences my clients are able to open up and express any concerns or hesitations that they have. It is a balance between mentioning these apparent cultural differences, while creating a safe environment where the client can begin to trust me as the therapist and possibly have a corrective experience with a person from a different cultural background. I have seen a client’s resistance surface when he or she sees my light skin, light eyes, and hears my exaggerated Spanish accent. It is important to acknowledge our cultural differences in order to understand my client’s experience, and to allow for an open and honest discussion regarding any concerns about having a therapist from a different cultural background.
The counseling center works in a co-therapy team model, and as the only Caucasian Spanish-speaking trainee in my program, I have noticed that my clients feel more comfortable opening up to the co-therapist. While doing an initial assessment with a 33 year-old from El Salvador, it was clear that he felt more comfortable responding to the co-therapist in the room. When I asked this client questions related to his citizenship and family history, his initial reaction was to turn to the co-therapist to ask why we needed to know this information. Although I reiterated our ethical standards related to confidentiality, I still feared that he would not be able to open up and trust me as his therapist. Even though this particular client did not return after that first session, I had to learn not to take it personally by remembering that each client brings his or her own life experiences into the room. It is important to remind myself of this simple fact because I am able to use the client’s resistance as a way to further explore their cultural identity and past experiences with adversity. When I feel discouraged, I have to remember that regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, culture, language, or sexual orientation, my goal is to create a safe and non-threatening environment where my clients can feel heard and understood, even if their transference is triggered by the color of my skin.
One of the primary reasons that I have chosen to work in the Latino Family Therapy Program is due to my admiration for the strong sense of community and pride that my clients gain from their cultural identity. I admire the collectivist family attitude and the cohesive bond that defines the family system. I am genuinely curious about working with a multicultural population and I want to further expand my knowledge about how an individual’s character is defined by their cultural roots.


1 comment:

  1. This is a great article, very interesting!!
    ~Sahar

    ReplyDelete