Wednesday, December 12, 2012

White Cloth of Grace A Personal Reflection, by Slobodan Nesovic, Psy.D.

I recently started working as a counselor at the Community Based Adult Services (CBAS) center, located in Los Angeles, and close to Compton. The majority of the residents within the neighborhood are African Americans, and 95% of all the participants at our medical center come from the same population. Considering that this is a low income neighborhood, many participants are living in low income housing or board and care, with few participants remaining homeless. All of our participants are in a day care program, which means they come in at 9am, receive food and medical services, and leave around 2pm.

This personal reflection is about one Caucasian participant named Grace, who was suffering from the late stages of dementia. She was bound to a wheelchair and had a very unique temperament. She was usually unhappy about being at the center and was aggressive with staff and peers around her. She would often get in altercations and quite often throw things around her, such as her plate of food or the crayons that she sometimes used for her drawing adventures. She would get so mad that her cuss words were coming out of her mouth along with white foam and spit. People that were sitting close to her knew that Grace can easily get angry and tried to stay away from her. No one could help Grace to calm down when she gets upset. The other participants found this amusing and laughed at her, made jokes in front of her, and complained to THE staff if her outbursts personally affected them.

Two weeks ago, when Grace began to act in same way, she aggressively pushed her table around and turned it 90 degrees to make a barricade between her and other peers. When the nursing assistants tried to put the table back so that they could serve breakfast, Grace yelled at them and threw a tantrum. I was watching the whole thing because she was just 15 feet away from my office. Grace managed to rip the multicolor flower designed tablecloth down to the floor. All twenty tables are decorated with the same table cloth. I came out of my office to pick up the cloth and as I placed it on the table I accidentally turned it inside out. We discovered that the other side OF the tablecloth was A shiny white color. Grace seemed to like the white side, and began to fix the tablecloth so that it was perfectly aligned on all four sides. She stroked the cloth to fix it, and really made sure it fit perfectly, leaving no wrinkles. When she finished she sat in peace for a moment reflecting on what she had done. She turned towards me and communicated, “I want to go home,” and I reflected back to her, “I hear you, you want to go home.” She smiled. My sense was that she felt understood and that felt good to her. We did A few more exchanges like this, and she started rolling her wheelchair into my office. She got to the door and rolled half way in and just sat there watching me type my notes.

The staff was surprised that Grace was at my office door, and started to make jokes about how she must be getting counseling. I heard one person say, “Look, Grace likes Slobodan.” This lasted about 20 minutes, and then she rolled back to her original place and began to turn over the other tablecloths to the white side. The Activities director came over and said out loud in front of Grace, “Look, Grace wants to make all tablecloths white.” By the end of the day Grace managed to turn over three of the tablecloths closest to her. As she was rolled out towards her bus, Grace waived for me to come close to her because she wanted to say something. She pointed towards my silver ring and communicated that she would like to see it. I took off my ring and gave it to her. She admired the ring and made A few gestures showing me that she liked it a lot. She was smiling and acted like she wanted to keep it, however she knew that ring was mine. I asked her to return my ring but she wanted to place it on my hand herself. She proceeded to place it on my ring finger and I said, “Not there, I wear it on this finger, not that one.” She looked at me, but would not have it. She had to place it on my ring finger. As she was placed it, she had the biggest smile on her face. I have never seen her like that. Right before she boarded her bus, she turned and pointed to my finger and sent me an air kiss with her hand. This was on Friday.



As I went to work on Monday, I was thinking about if she was going to continue rearranging THE tablecloths, and what will her reaction be when she sees that my ring was not on my ring finger. I waited, and waited, but she did not show up. I asked another worker where Grace was and she said, “Grace died this morning before they were going to pick her up. She had a smile on her face.” I was surprised that no one mentioned to me that she died until I had asked around midday! No one said anything, not even the owner or her peers that sat next to her! There was no speech or anything else for that matter. It was so strange to see that other participants did not acknowledge her passing in any way. I felt sad and was filled with symbolic thoughts of what had transpired between Grace and I just three days prior. I thought of the significance of white tablecloths and her fascination with them. I was pondering what she wanted to portray when she placed a ring on my ring finger. I was stunned that no one seemed to notice that she was not around anymore. Two weeks later, I am still pondering if on some level, Grace knew she was ready to go and that she wanted to arrange the white cloths for her passing. I feel that her placing the ring on my ring finger was a way to let me know that she was longing for unity, a mergence with something good, and someone who understands her. It is also possible that I helped her to see that white is welcomed in the midst of multicolor tablecloths, which possibly provided a necessary impetus for her to leave home with a smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment