Monday, August 13, 2012

Multiculturalism, by Layla Jillood, Psy.D.

Is Multiculturalism Important?

This is a question that I often ponder. In this day and age, how is multiculturalism defined? What is the significance of someone’s cultural background? Is the importance of culture different for different people? Is it necessary to understand culture in order to understand the person?








I have found that when I expand the definition of multiculturalism I am able to see its significance clearly. Traditionally, we have defined multiculturalism in terms of culture, race, ethnicity, sexuality, gender, religion and politics. We have come a long way in terms of cultural sensitivity and in honoring our various backgrounds. This sensitivity has forced us to become aware of our ideas about what makes us different and what makes us the same.  Yet I still ask, what about people who do not have a clear idea of their personal cultural identity? What about the people who do not fit into one culture or subgroup? I believe that our ideas about multiculturalism continue to evolve. Multiculturalism can apply to someone’s passion for animal rights, environmentalism, music, love for travel, sport and many other aspects of ourselves. When we expand our ideas about multiculturalism we honor the unique differences that exist in all of us.

Personally, I do not feel that I fit into a particular subgroup or culture. I was born in Northern Ireland, was raised in Canada and my family is originally from Iraq. I am spiritual but not religious, I follow a vegan diet and am a practicing yogi. I love music and am learning how to play guitar. I have a passion for psychotherapy and am a philosopher at heart. My culture is not clearly defined but when I combine my passions they form a fusion of interests that create a unique culture that is my own.

With this said, what is yours?


(Photo by mark i geo)

No comments:

Post a Comment